Sunday 4 November 2012

The Beginning...

Last Christmas I was a happy go lucky young girl, living in Cardiff and working for Topshop as a Top Level Sales Advisor at their Cardiff branch, aspiring to use my Fashion Marketing & Communication degree to its full potential. It’s also when I first discovered a spot on my head. I hadn’t thought much of it, but decided to keep an eye on it anyway. Over the next 7 months the ‘spot’ grew to the size of a golf ball.
 
Misdiagnosed by three doctors as a cyst and then by a consultant as a low flow vascular malformation, it was only in August 2012 after having an MRI scan and operation at Coventry University Hospital to remove it, that I was told it had come back as cancerous - a rare form of Sarcoma, with only 25 - 30 cases in the world. A shocking revelation and hard to take in, especially only being 23 years old. My Dad had also had cancer in 2007 of the throat – to his relief my cancer was totally unrelated. He had been given his five year sign off earlier in the year.
By this time I was now settling into a new role as a Digital Marketing Assistant for George at Asda, Lutterworth - a really interesting job with fantastic colleagues and prospects for the future.
Following my diagnosis a full body PET CT scan was carried out, which came showing something in my neck. An ultrasound later revealed that nothing could now be found. A huge relief to know the cancer hadn’t spread.
Following a number of consultations at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham an operation was finally carried out in October 2012 to remove the entire tumour and perform a skin graft in order to obtain a clear margin. My red hair no more – the surgeon gave me a delightful hair cut (I now have a shaved head!) and he also proceeded to give me a ‘horn’ for some reason! (Although this is now going down and at least I was ready for Halloween, although some might say this was a bit extreme for a costume!). On the bright side I’m saving time not having to do my hair each morning and I haven’t had any bad hair days! Hats are my new best friend too. I’ve bought a few myself, had some made and others bought by family and friends.
Radiotherapy and chemotherapy are also now necessary (over the next 6 -12 months) to make sure any cancer cells are wiped out of my body. Discovering the time length of these treatments I have decided to move to Birmingham to be closer to the hospital, meaning giving up my ‘quirky’ little flat in Rugby I’d grown to call home. My mum has kindly agreed to come and live with me to support and help me through this difficult time. Thankfully her bosses John and Sally of Cribs Clothing have been very supportive and agreed to give her as much time off as she needs.
 
I’ve always said it would be nice to have a flatmate and now I’ve got one! Be careful what you wish for! Haha only joking Mum! A woman that seems to be the target for all nicknames and jokes, the latest names for her are ‘Florence’ (as in ‘Florence Nightingale’ and her new career in nursing) and ‘Hoverman’ (courtesy of TOWIE and the fact she now continuously worries and hovers around me!!)

I have been so lucky to receive a tremendous amount of support from family and friends following my journey so far and I have no doubt it will continue and grow in the coming months. People have been so generous with flowers, cards, presents and so many messages that I’ve honestly struggled to keep up with! But it’s been lovely to know that I’m always being thought about. The George Dot.com team sent me a lovely ‘Pamper Hamper’ the other day – included were a kindle, yes kindle! A onesie, make-up and a whole host of lovely treats! What more could I have asked for?! They’ve been so great through all this and said I’ll have a job at the end of it even if it means moving departments. I thought well I’d be ok on the meat counter at Asda - at least then I could wear a hat!!
 
My family have also been fab – Mum and Dad ferrying me to all the hospital appointments and supporting me through it all. My sister and her boyfriend although the other side of the world (only booking their five month trip just before I was diagnosed) talking of cancelling their trip, which I was strongly against or now coming home at a moment’s notice. And even when they’re back coming to look after me in Birmingham to give Mum some respite or even working in the shop to continue Mum’s job.    
My friends have also been great too – manicures and pedicures, hospital visits, country walks, long chats and a cuppa, lots of sweets & chocolates and of course endless jokes (especially Michael Macintyre and the hospital gown!!).




Its funny how many people also come forward with their own personal stories of cancer, sometimes from those who you didn’t even know had been diagnosed with the disease. I’ve also met lovely people in hospital also undergoing cancer treatment, who I hope to keep in touch with. Some of the other cases certainly put yours into perspective. At least I can still see and walk around – I’m a lucky one in that respect.


Fertility treatment is also something I’ve had to consider as unfortunately a side effect of chemotherapy can be infertility. Fortunately I have been told I have got time to freeze my eggs before I begin radio/chemo. It’s lucky that this process is now in place – four/five years ago only fertilised eggs could be frozen, still Olly Murs if you’re reading this please feel free to get in touch with your donation! I’ve also been awarded funding for it! Fantastic news as this would have cost nearly £3000! If the ‘Grandparents’ had paid, don’t think the babies would have received any money in their Christmas cards!!
So now I’ve T’d off with the story so far, it’s now time to jump into the buggy and drive to that next appointment...let’s hope it’s a hole in one!
 

 



 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cameron, what's your question please?

    Rhianna

    ReplyDelete