Tuesday 20 November 2012

JAH-MAZING!


Last Friday Mum and I hit the shops at The Bullring, Birmingham, with the sole intention of finding a suitable ‘evening hat’ for wearing Sunday night in the X Factor studio. But before any shopping could commence, an obligatory photo was needed with the other tourists at the famous bull. It was almost as good as Builth’s!
In H&M (the first shop we visited) we found just the one – a plain black beanie, discreet enough to wear indoors. I quite liked it in the neon green; however I thought I’d stand out a Belisha Beacon! It probably would have caught Olly and Dermie’s eyes, however not in a good way! In true woman style we perused the shops for around four hours, trying on hats in every size, shape and colour until returning to the first shop to purchase the first one we’d seen! In Gok style I decided to buy some hair accessories to customise it.

The next day I was out again, this time with my Uni friend Rachael (Orsy). Our first stop Cafe Nero for coffee and a catch-up, followed by Pizza Hut for lunch and afternoon refreshments at M&S! I think the main reason we’re friends is because we both have a love of food! Remember those roast dinners in our student days Rach ;) In between eating I did manage to buy a dress from Topshop for Sunday nights X Factor performance. Good job I’ve got some magic knickers as I thought I might need them after all that food!

And so it arrived! The day we’d been waiting for – in Dermie’s words ‘It’s time for the X Factor – The Results!’ We made our way to the Wembley Studio, North London, finding ourselves third in the queue at the Production Guests entrance. Although it was cold and we were waiting for over an hour outside, luckily we were kept entertained by a ‘street dancer’ – a strange character who proceeded to moonwalk up and down the pavement, spin around the lampposts and shout out on several occasions whilst practising his moves. I hasten to add he didn’t work for the X factor! Notably this daredevil figure sidestepped into the road numerous times, once nearly getting squished by a bus – we were quite worried about him but in fact this all added to the excitement of his performance! Louis also popped his head out of the door exclaiming, “Where is he?” We presumed he must have lost a member of Union J – mum told him she’d step in if needed as the show must go on!
Wearing my new sparkly dress meant that the Bridget Jones’ were in actual fact required! But as all the girls out there will know, they can be a bit on the restrictive side! So into my mum’s bag went a smaller pair! But unfortunately for her, five minutes before the doors opened we realised our bags would be searched! That was it, we were creased with laughed and panicking as to what we should do with them! What we did is for us to know and you to find out!
Once finally inside we were ushered into our seats. Looking around at other members of the audience, I recognised someone I’d seen on the TV. Star struck, I said loudly, “Oh that’s Christopher Maloney’s Nan there!” Hearing me she turned around, smiled and waved! The Production Guests were allowed into the bar after the show to hang out with the contestants. I was lucky enough to meet Rylan and Christopher Maloney and get pictures of James Arthur and Union J too. You could have easily mistaken Mum and me for two 15 year old girls, the way we were getting excited! Chris Morgan who had given us the tickets came for a chat and I thanked him once again for his kind gesture. Both Mum and I thoroughly enjoyed the show; it was a welcome break from life’s realities and a chance to let our hair down (well Mum’s at least!!)

Monday morning and reality was soon upon us again, as another fertility injection beckoned. We left the hotel early to get back to our morning appointment, at the QE hospital for a fertility scan. Pleased to say everything is going well so far, just started second injection with next appointments Wednesday and Friday. On Monday I also had an appointment with a member of Dr Spooner’s team, to discuss when I’m able to start chemotherapy. All being well this will commence Thursday next week. Having a permanent line put in this Thursday in preparation for treatment and also awaiting another body scan which is to take place shortly.
Today I can also reveal which newspaper I will be staring in! It’s my local paper - for those who don’t know, it’s called the Brecon & Radnor Express. I was approached by a friend who works as a Journalist for the paper, Matthew Jones - better known to his friends and family as Jabba. He had seen my blog and thought that the way I had been documenting my cancer journey would make an interesting article. After posting the link on his Twitter account, his News Editor also read it and asked him to see whether I would like them to run a story. After deliberating for a few days I agreed, deciding that if I can help to inspire even just one person through my tale, then it was worth doing. We had a telephone interview enabling him to get some quotes and to build up a bigger picture of all that I’d been going through. For those interested, the paper will be in the shops tomorrow. So for coming up with your material and making your job easy this week Jabba, I think you owe me a few Jagerbombs when I see you out next!

No comments:

Post a Comment