Wednesday 5 December 2012

Have We Arrived at Our Destination?

Wednesday 5th Dec 2012


For those of you who have never been to the new QE Hospital in Birmingham, it is not a small building by any means. Upon going through the large revolving doors, you’re met by an even larger Information Desk, WHSmith and Costa Coffee. And in the words of Libby Adams, ‘It’s like an airport terminal!’ Unfortunately that’s where the similarities end and the only place I was jetting off to that morning was the Young Persons Unit on the 6th Floor! My accommodation was pleasant though, even having the word ‘CAKE’ on one of my walls – think this might have been selected purposefully for me?! Looking at the two beds within my room, I opted for the larger and more comfortable unfortunately for Mum! Mum’s was a slimmer affair, not appropriate for her Rosemary Shrager style body! Arriving at 9.30am and thinking I was off to a good start I was ready to get going with the first chemotherapy session. However, a chest x-ray showed my PICC line was in the incorrect place so had to be adjusted. Bloods also had to be taken to check my blood cell count.
An ultrasound on my liver also had to be carried out, after the CT scan I had last week showed up what were thought to be cysts. I was taken down in a wheelchair by a porter, but felt a bit of a fraud as could potentially have walked and didn’t dare get out once down at the clinic waiting room! I felt a bit like we were Lou and Andy ‘I want that one!’ I commented to the porter that the hospital was very big. He replied that yes he used to be 19 stone when he first started! I think he was joking....The results from the scan said different, they are like birthmarks but think they are benign. However, an MRI scan will be carried out for confirmation in about 6 week’s time.
Finally started chemo Friday at 4pm – the weekend that followed was an intensive, hard and emotional one. Being pumped full of fluid and drugs continually definitely drains you. Needing the loo every hour was also a continual pain – although Libby again followed with some wise words that all that drinking and weeing was surely the sign of a good night out?! Each time a new drug is administered two nurses check your identity wrist band, felt like I was in Passport Control; unfortunately I was going no-where! Since being discharged I have also felt quite lethargic and a bit nauseous, but have been out for two walks today and eating well thanks to Rosemary’s homemade cooking skills! Mum, Dad, friends and family have all been supportive as usual – Mum staying with me every night, Mum & Dad both sitting with me during the long days, cousin Lou and partner Dave visiting from London broke up an afternoon and other family and friends sending kind messages.
Spoke to my sister Becca and boyfriend Luke also today from Cambodia. It was lovely to hear their voices and to catch up with them on both sides as to what's been going on, even having a few jokes (mostly at Little Diane's expensive as usual)!
The doctors, nurses and all the staff have been fantastic on the ward and I know they’ll endeavour to make my next stay as easy and pleasant as possible. I even received a luxury bag of cosmetics from the ‘Look Good Feel Better’ day I was unable to attend last week due to sickness.
I have a heart scan next week as some of the chemotherapy drugs can affect it, along with a check up on head with my plastic surgeon. My head is healing very nicely though. When showing one of the nurses a photo she exclaimed “Ooh lovely!” – I told her it was the best reaction I’d had to it that’s for sure!
My next chemo session commences on the 20th Dec, hopefully I’ll be out in time for Xmas. Hoping to make it a good one, even if it is just me and Flo in Birmingham J Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and New Year! If you’re happy and healthy that’s all you need...and do me proud on Boxing Night Builth – I would have liked to bust a few moves in Jimmies and sampled a few too many cocktails in Bengos!

1 comment:

  1. x x x x x x x x xx lots of love to you slim!! x x x jazz

    ReplyDelete