Sunday 7 April 2013

Easter: The Only Time of Year It’s Safe to Put All Your Eggs in One Basket!

Sunday 7th April 2013

Unfortunately I started writing this blog post from my hospital bed! The week before last I had to be re-admitted following a high temperature. It all started a week last Monday - my temperature was high that morning and when I came into hospital to get checked out, bloods were taken and analysed, revealing my hb levels were low so I required a blood transfusion. The next evening I was at home feeling fine, when I checked my temperature (which I have to do twice daily) and it was up once again. Into hospital Flo and I dashed as having a high temperature can be a sign that you’re neutropenic (when your immune system is at rock bottom) and can be life threatening. Fortunately this wasn’t the case for me this time, although I had to have fluids, antibiotics and paracetamol to bring my temperature down as I may have had an infection. A chest scan I had had a few weeks previous had revealed that there was something showing on my lungs, which may have been the beginning of an infection. Prior to having tablets to clear this up, the doctors were unsure as to the cause of my temperature and decided that I should have my PICC line out incase this was the source. It turned out it wasn’t and I once again had the pleasure of having another PICC line put back in my arm. However, this is much better than all the cannulas I had to have put in over the 10 nights I was in hospital and all the prodding of needles to take blood at 5am each morning!
I’m back home now on weekend release, as temperature has finally come down. I’m due back in tomorrow for my seventh session of chemotherapy. I was hoping to go back to Builth Easter weekend to catch up with friends and family, however plans for this had to sadly be cancelled.
While I was in for my sixth session of chemotherapy, I went down to the radiotherapy department to be measured and fitted for my mask. The mask is something I have to wear during the sessions to protect my face from the rays. My oncology consultant has now decided that I need to have ‘electron’ radiotherapy, which will be twenty eight sessions in length, beginning 8th April. This was supposed to start on the 2nd April, however couldn’t commence until my temperature had stabilised. Using electrons means there’s less chance of the rays penetrating my brain, whilst still being effective on the areas of skin on my head that it needs to. I also had some positive news whilst I was in - my head and chest scans have come back all clear of cancer, which was a big relief.
Becca, Dad and Luke came up for her Graduation on the 15th March and although I couldn’t attend, they all came to visit me in hospital, along with her friend Jazz. Becca had a great day and it was lovely to catch up with them all.
Flo and I attended Crufts a few weeks back. We had a great time, watching some of the agility events in the main ring and meeting some of the French Bulldogs and their owners. I want a dog more than ever now!





My friend Dani and I went to the Olly Murs concert on the 12th March. We had a fantastic time, as he put on a great show! He was supported by The Loveable Rogues who were on Britain’s Got Talent and a girl called Titch who were both really good.

 
I was booked into the Manchester hair salon last week to have my final wig fitting. I was hoping to get it sorted before my radiotherapy. Again, this had to be cancelled because of my high temperature so will have to re-book for after the radiotherapy now, which looks like it will be May time.
Hope everyone has a lovely Easter and received lots of eggs! I’ve already received some from my lovely friend Sarah! I can also reveal that Sarah was the mystery person behind the anonymous package I received in the post around Christmas time! This came to light a few weeks ago when I was using my notebook and telling her the story of how I didn’t know who it was from!! For Easter I was also treated to a few lovely cards and presents from my Aunty Sue (Pooky to us). She bought me lots of lovely pamper gifts and lottery ticket and scratch card. I won £5 on the scratch card and have promised her half the winnings!! Haha
Can I just also take this opportunity to thank Rachel Williams for running the London Marathon, to raise money for Teenage Cancer Trust. The marathon takes place in two weeks time and I’d like to wish her all the best! If you’d like to make a donation here’s the link: http://www.justgiving.com/Rachel-Williams20 or alternatively if you’re in Builth then my sister and Rachel both have sponsorship forms. Thanks all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment