Wednesday 16 January 2013

“I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again!”

Wednesday 16th January 2013

I have just come out from hospital following my third lot of chemotherapy. The staff can’t do enough for you there, always greet you upon arrival as if we’re checking in for a weekend break! Judging by my cases you’d think we were! In true Thomas style, Mum and I rock up with sleeping bag, pillow and even a toaster in hand and Mum has to make a few trips back and forth to the carI don’t do travelling light as my Dad only knows too well! Even for Beach Break festival, lasting a few days I managed to fill Becca’s rucksack, which she’s using currently for four months of travelling!
It was a very tiring five days and unfortunately this time there was more sickness and I also required a blood transfusion. Flo tried to be her supportive self but also ended up feeling queasy and had to have a lie down! Even when I fancy a cup of tea or it's time for a meal I need to put in a request about an hour before, as she’ll always find someone to talk to down the kitchen! Met a nice couple from Bridgenorth, Shropshire called Mel and Dan – Dan has been receiving treatment on the unit around the same time as myself and Mel is due to give birth in a couple of weeks. Flo said she’d step in as birthing partner if required, should she go into labour whilst there! I think it was anything to get out of looking after me personally!
Everything ok now though and have been taking it easy since being discharged. I also found out whilst in hospital that Ewing’s Sarcoma is usually treated with 14 sessions of chemotherapy – they’ll review my case at treatment four (the highest doses being the first six). Also the radiotherapy could be for five days at a time lasting for six weeks. But whatever they decide, I know my best interests will be at heart and I’ll go with the Flo ;) Next session of chemotherapy is booked in for 30th January.
I’ve had the liver scan results back now and they’re showing benign blood vessels, which have probably been there since birth, so a weight off my mind. Results from the heart scan are also all ok, happy days.
I’d also like to put some thanks out for all the lovely cards, messages and presents I’ve received over the last few months. It’s kept me going, knowing I have fantastic support from family and friends. I still don’t know who my mystery parcel was off though, so if the sender reads this please let me know! It contained a lovely notebook, selection boxes and nail polishes. One of the cutest gifts has to be this little pup,  sent from one of Mum's friends. Flo get on the case though please, remember I’m expecting a real one when we’re home!
As mentioned in my last post, a family friend Rachel is running the London Marathon this April, raising money for a charity of my choice, which is Teenage Cancer Trust. Here's the link,
http://www.justgiving.com/Rachel-Williams20 Please let’s all support her and this fantastic charity! My interview for Pick Me Up magazine is also due to be published 31st January. Look out for me!
Becca and Luke are due back soon, can’t wait to see them! I know they’re looking forward to their Christmas gifts (including a few surprises!!) and plenty of nice food! Will be great to have them back, although I think we’ve spoke more since they’ve been away than when they’re actually in the UK! Gotta love a bit of Skype J

I’ve also been told that I should write a book about my journey...thoughts and comments please!!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment